West of Sunset by Stewart O'Nan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
West of Sunset by Stewart O'Nan is a fictional biography of the last three years of F. Scott Fitzgerald's life. Early on we see Fitzgerald struggle to maintain hope and loyalty to Zelda as she struggles to maintain her sanity. All action in this novel revolves around Fitzgerald's attempts to stay relevant, stay in love, and stay sober.
While I have read most of Fitzgerald's work (Tender is the Night is my favorite of his novels), I have to admit that I knew little of his life. Reading biographies (even fictional ones) has been somewhat of a let down in the past so I tend to shy away. Knowing too much about my favorite authors can sometimes taint my view of their works that is why I was surprised at how enthralling I found West of Sunset. I felt as if I was there often dreaming of the characters after a long night of reading.
Drunken fights, Hollywood stars, sorted affairs and stunning prose, this novel has it all. If you read one fictional biography this year, make West of Sunset the book.
I received this novel from the publisher to review. In no way did that influence the opinions expressed in this review.
View all my reviews
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
For those who are a fan of Beethoven here is a list of books all about his life and work. Check back often for new additions to this list.
- Beethoven's Letters 1790-1826, Volume 1 by Ludwig van Beethoven
- Beethoven's Letters 1790-1826, Volume 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven
- Beethoven, the Man and the Artist, as Revealed in His Own Words by Beethoven
- The Great German Composers by George T. Ferris
- Beethoven, a character study by George Alexander Fischer
- Beethoven : The story of a little boy who was forced to practice by Thomas Tapper
- The World's Great Men of Music: Story-Lives of Master Musicians by Harriette Brower
- Life of Beethoven by Anton Schindler
- Story-Lives of Great Musicians by Francis Jameson Rowbotham
- Musical Criticisms by Arthur Johnstone
- Sketch of Handel and Beethoven by Thomas Hanly Ball
- Beethoven's Symphonies Critically Discussed by Alexander Teetgen
- Beethoven: A Memoir (2nd Ed.) by Elliott Graeme
- The Life of Ludwig van Beethoven, Volume I (of 3) by Alexander Wheelock Thayer
- The Life of Ludwig van Beethoven, Volume II (of 3) by Alexander Wheelock Thayer
- The Life of Ludwig van Beethoven, Volume III (of 3) by Alexander Wheelock Thayer
Thursday, April 10, 2014
Starting April 21st reader will be joining together to read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. As a fan of Dickens I could not pass up the opportunity to re-read this novel. I will be tweeting about my read (@WeeklyZen ) with the #1Tale2Cities tag. On Monday's I will update Weekly Zen with a close reading of the chapters that the group was scheduled to read. All the information about joining the read-along and schedule is posted at Reading in Bed .
The event runs April 21- May 19 2014 and below is the reading schedule: